Head of subject: Mrs L Hennessy
- 28th June 2018 – School Nurses (Sex Education)- Yr 10
- July 2018 – 3 week local PCO course – working with year 9 boys focus group
- Community cancer awareness afternoon – Date TBC
Hello, I am Mrs Hennessy and I lead the academy’s PSHE provision.
Personal, social, health and economic (PSHE) education is an important and necessary part of all pupils’ education. At the academy we deliver PSHE through 1 hour lessons each week, for all year groups. We believe our tutors provide support for our students to develop in a safe, trusting and engaging environment where relationships have already been formed.
Designing our PSHE curriculum to suit the changing needs of our students, lies at the center of our PSHE provision. We deliver a holistic curriculum for all our students to progress.
The Academy builds on the statutory content already outlined in the national curriculum.
- Drug education
- Financial education
- Sex and relationship education (SRE)
- Importance of physical activity and diet for a healthy lifestyle
We also tackle current issues surrounding the changing world and local communities, these include:
- Sexual exploitation
- Internet safety
- Rule of law and changing legislation
- Democracy within the UK
Over the academic year we have a range of specialist that deliver to our students through assemblies and focus afternoons. Specialists include:
- Community police – Raising awareness of bullying, dangers of events (Halloween, bonfire night), internet safety
- Community nurses – Deliver elements of the sex and relationships unit (SRE) and offer drop in sessions for students to ask for advice and support
- Academy Safeguarding Officer – Raising awareness of sexual exploitation, domestic violence and mental health.
Throughout the academic year the Academy will be inviting parents and carers to attend breakfast mornings, this aims to provide support for parents and carers within a range of situations. We will also signpost any useful organisations that can further assist the Academy support systems.
Click here to download the PSHE timetable.
PSHE events to note
- 21st Nov, Mental health awareness information morning, for parents and carers.
- 30th Nov, British Red Cross – Introduction to everyday first aid. Year 10 and 11 students
- 7th Dec, Guest speaker: Child Sexual Exploitation. Year 10 and 11 students
- 11th Dec, Guest speaker: Bullying and Careers. Year 8 and 9 students
- 13th Dec, Guest speaker: Child Sexual Exploitation. Year 8 and 9 students
- 17th Jan, Guest speaker: Knife crime awareness.
- 6th Mar, Guest speaker: Vital Signs (Life choices). Years 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11
- 13th Mar, Guest speaker: J-Sol (Careers & Bullying). Years 7, 8 & 9
For further information contact
Mrs L Hennessy