At NEW6 our daily 30-minute tutorial sessions and assembly time aim to help support students’ future pathways and progression following the successful completion of their studies.
Students may wish to take several different routes into their given career, such as studying for a Higher Level Apprenticeship, HNC, HND, Foundation Degree, Undergraduate Degree, Degree Apprenticeship or an alternative choice of a gap year abroad, volunteering.
We always advise a student to establish more than one plan following sixth form eg. a student may wish to pursue a career in engineering – he or she could go straight to uni to study an undergraduate course in engineering or they could take an apprenticeship route at Higher Level or Degree level. An example of a local Degree Level Apprenticeship in engineering is at Jaguar Land Rover, who offer a five-year study programme to work and gain the relevant skills offered by a workplace whilst also studying an undergraduate degree in engineering, paid for by the company.
- UCAS: Centralised application system for applications to university. Offers lots of videos to support the process and also a section for parents.
- Apprenticeships: A database of the current vacancies available and information on the areas that apprenticeships are available in.
- Gap Year Abroad: Camp America offers students transferable skills and enables them to gain greater independence and become more responsible, well-rounded individuals.
- Informed Choices: The Russell Group’s Informed Choices guide provides students with information, advice and guidance about their post-16 subject choices. Visit their website or download the Informed Choices PDF here.
- TARGET, Careers to Your Future: A guide about the different options for students after they leave school. For more resources like this, visit the TARGET website here…
- TARGET, A Parents Guide: Advice aimed at parents on careers, university and school leaver programs for your child. For more resources like this, visit the TARGET website here…
- TARGET Resources: For resources about open days, career options, building your CV, Gap years and many more.